At the beginning of the year 2020 we had such a positive outlook on the year ahead! After all it was the year of “perfect vision”. Now we are 8 months in, and as I’m sure you will all agree, it has been…. well… a year of some unmet expectations. Ok maybe a lot of unmet expectations! But that doesn’t mean I’m giving up on the rest of year. And neither should you. Let’s finish out this year STRONG!
So that all sounds great right? But it’s not so easy to do. Especially in our ever changing world filled with uncertainty and fear for what the third quarter of 2020 might bring. I mean I have started and stopped my goal of recreating my relationship with food (hello Covid-19), every time I read something else in the media that produces anxiety. Maybe it’s time to step away from social media for a while (that’s why I’ve been missing in action for a hot minute, lol).
I’m not suggesting giving it up completely (thats just crazy talk), I mean we have to stay informed. Just choose wisely what you choose to fill your brain with.
Here are a five ways other than going easy on social media, that I have found to deal with the anxiety and hopelessness of the future. And to reframe thinking in a positive and productive way.
- Brain Dump Sometimes feelings and emotions can really become too much to bear. A practice that I have found helpful is to get out a journal (you know how I love journals!) and just “dump” all of your thoughts, feelings, emotions and scenarios that you are creating in your mind on to a blank page. You don’t even have to keep it if you don’t want to. I find that just releasing all of that emotion from your head and your heart is truly cathartic. It can be a form of therapy to just let your heart and soul out in words. Words that you’ve been tossing around and around inside your brain, creating all kinds of awful scenarios. Just get it out so you can let your brain rest.
- Breathe There are moments when I’m working on something whether it be at work or at home even hanging out at soccer game (yes we just started back up again, yay!), when I notice that I have been holding my breath. It’s really a common practice to tense up when we are deeply engrossed in something. You may even be doing it at this very moment. So stop right now and do it with me. Close your eyes and take a big inhale through your nose (really fill up your lungs). Now let it out slowly through your mouth. Now do that 2 more times as you let your body just relax. Hopefully that will help you feel a little less anxious. Just breathe.
- Kill the ants automatic negative thoughts (thank youJim Kwik). Negative thoughts rob us of joy and kill our hope and steal our happiness. We’ve all heard the quote by Henry Ford, “Whether you think you can or you think you can’t, you’re right.” Our thoughts are so powerful! As Jillian Michaels from biggest loser always says, “If you fight for your limiting beliefs you get to keep them. ” Don’t get caught in the trap of telling yourself that you are not (smart enough, pretty enough, thin enough, motivated enough, old enough, young enough etc). What you tell yourself you are, is what you will become. Practice self love on a daily basis by being kind to yourself. Don’t let the “ants” keep you from thriving
- Drink yo’ water!!!! I know this might seem like a crazy thing to add in this post. And I will harp on this forever (see more here). There are so many benefits to getting your water in daily (at least half of your body weight in ounces). And so many negatives to not drinking water. Being properly hydrated is so important. Here are just a few benefits: Weight loss and good skin elasticity. Muscle efficiency, mood balancer (yes!), temperature control, memory function, and joint lubrication. It flushes out the toxins that build up in our bodies creating good bowel function. It aids digestion and creates better immune health. When we become dehydrated it can cause dizziness, headaches, nausea, weakened muscles and lack of motivation. Do yourself a favor and fill up your cup!
- Get out of your space Sometimes we get so caught up doing things in our own little world that we forget how much of a breath of fresh air it is to get out and see others. Being with people who love us and support us and laugh with us, might be the most useful and important activity we can do for us and for them! I can’t wait to be able to hug big again! Granted this has been especially hard during 2020 with Corona. But it is not going to last forever and for the time being, we can still get out and walk our neighborhood and wave at others as they drive by, or talk and laugh 6 feet apart. And sometimes playing games and visiting with your own family in your own home can be such a ray of sunshine.
- I hope that these ideas will help you to find some ways to destress and decompress and refresh and reframe your mindset with everything that is going on in our world. If you are struggling, please know that you are NEVER alone!
Isaiah 52:12 For ye shall not go out with haste, nor go by flight: for the Lord will go before you; and the God of Israel will be your rearward.
The Lord is always by your side with His angels to assist you. I know this because he has been there for me over and over again. Love to you all, have a wonderful weekend.
P.S. Big News! Something fun coming soon!!!
Make sure to enter your email above to be alerted! I promise you won’t want to miss it!